Palazzo Giureconsulti is one of the fundamental features of Piazza dei Mercanti, topographical centre of Medieval Milan and heart of the economic and social life of those times.
The history of the old collegio nobiliare concluded on 8 July 1797 following the French revolution and the descent of Napoleonic troops upon Italy. The constitution of the republic decreed that all professional and artisanal associations must be disbanded. The new laws were immediately applied to the Collegio dei Giureconsulti (school for aspiring lawyers and politicians), which was suppressed as a historical instrument of aristocratic power and source of magistrates.
In 1809 the Camera dei Mercanti (Merchants Guild) acquired the west room and inaugurated Milan’s first Stock Exchange.
Rapid development of stock trading soon made it necessary to increase the size of the room, which was accomplished by occupying a portion of the portico.
In the years 1872-1876 Palazzo Giureconsulti underwent significant structural modifications following the construction of Via Carlo Alberto. A telegraph was installed in this period and Banca Popolare di Milano established its offices on the first floor.
The Stock Exchange and telegraph coexisted for only a few years: in 1901 the Stock Exchange in Piazza Cordusio was completed.
After the Stock Exchange moved out, the city of Milan concerned itself with the fate of Palazzo Giureconsulti, now lacking a clearly defined purpose.
In 1911 the Chamber of Commerce purchased the entire building as its headquarters. It was remodelled the following year and in 1914 the new CoC offices were inaugurated.
The Second World War left its marks on Palazzo Giureconsulti, which was seriously damaged during aerial bombardments in 1943.
The damaged part of the building was rebuilt following the war and the Chamber of Commerce continued to operate in the building until 1957, when the decision was taken to move to its current location on Via Meravigli to satisfy its need for more space.
In 1985 the architects Mezzanotte and Menghi began work to restore Palazzo Giureconsulti. It was completed in 1991, with the building transformed into a facility equipped to host conventions, conferences and exhibitions.
It was upon completion of this restoration work that the building definitively took the name of Palazzo Affari ai Giureconsulti.
Piazza dei Mercanti is one of Milan’s oldest landmarks. The decision to build it was made in 1228, when the Municipal Council decreed the institution of a new broletto, the centre for city administration and trade.
Palazzo Giureconsulti was ordered and financed by Giovanni Angelo Medici, a nobleman born in Milan who would go on to become Pope Pius IV. The building was intended to house the Collegio dei Nobili Dottori, an institute that trained the administrators of the state: senators, judges and captains of justice.
Construction of Palazzo Giureconsulti began in 1562 based on designs by Vincenzo Seregni, developing around the tower of the broletto. The long façade of the Palazzo, cadenced by the Renaissance harmony of the double columns of the portico, originally constituted one of the four sides of Piazza dei Mercanti.
For nearly six centuries – from the 13th to the 18th – Milan’s centre for trade and its municipal institutions was centred in this quadrilateral.
Inaugurated in 1654, at the height of Spanish domination, the building housed the Collegio dei Nobili Dottori until the years of Napoleonic domination.
In the heart of Milan, at the centre of events
Palazzo Giureconsulti: a transformable space, a place that becomes the home of design, fashion, art and events
The building was inaugurated in 1654 as the home of the Collegio dei Nobili Dottori. In the following centuries it was one of the characteristic elements of Piazza dei Mercanti and the centre of Milan from the Middle Ages through the Renaissance and into modern times. The Palazzo is now a fully modern facility for events, conserving a wealth of historical elements testifying to the prestige of Milan, which combine in excellent stylistic and functional harmony with the modern installations in the various rooms and halls.
Covering an area of 2,000 sqm on four floors, the building includes eight convention halls (the main hall offers seating for one hundred people), various exhibition spaces and a magnificent terrace. All spaces are equipped with the latest multimedia systems, innovative technical and technological support systems, and state-of-the-art electronic audio-visual equipment.
In recent years, Palazzo Giureconsulti has hosted the events of the preeminent businesses and institutions in all sectors: embassies and consulates, universities, foundations, Ferragamo, Fineco, Google, Luxottica, Saras, UniCredit, Assicurazioni Generali, Barilla, FieraMilano, Expo CTS, Expo 2015, Calvin Klein, Philippe Patek, Jaeger Le-Coultre, Conbipel, Piaggio, Enel, Louis Vuitton South Europe.
The spires of the Milan cathedral are just a stone’s throw away and can be admired from the terrace of the Palazzo, which offers an unforgettable view. A short stroll, admiring the shop windows on Via Dante, will also take you to Castello Sforzesco. Palazzo Giureconsulti is here in Milan’s historic, pulsating heart.
Congress Centre for the Chamber of Commerce
Palazzo Giureconsulti and Palazzo Turati are the two historical facilities that the Milan Chamber of Commerce proposes as privileged venues for encounters between the international economy and the Italian business community.
Two modern convention centres are within walking distance of the cathedral and easily reachable with public transportation. Both are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and technology to ensure the success of any type of event.
Each year the facilities host over 1,000 events of all sorts: conventions, seminars, conferences, workshops, gala dinners, ceremonial meetings, training courses, new product launches, exhibitions, fashion shows, showrooms, concerts, and cinema and advertising sets.
The two congress facilities are offered to the economic, financial and institutional community as a “Milanese window” on the world, the ideal setting for events, characterized by the high quality of the services provided for business meetings, and thus fully capable of representing the excellence of Lombardy’s capital city.
They are facilities with multimedia communication capabilities and an image that transmit the essence of a city and a local community that evolves and transforms rapidly, keeping in step with the times.
The accumulation of 500 years of history gives added value to the spaces: the barrel vault ceilings, the monumental staircase, the stuccowork, the historical lighting fixtures and all the decorations testify to the prestige of the city and the Palazzo, and find their logical continuation in the new installations in the rooms, celebrating the city’s role a global hub, as a protagonist in the third millennium of innovation, fashion and design.
Director of Communication: Mario Barone
Events Office and Congress Facilities Manager: Silvia Pietrarolo
Coordination: Silvana Calcaterra
Congress Facilities Management team:
Stefania Monti, Paolo Zurrida, Giovanni Tunesi
Office hours: Monday-Friday, 9:30-18:00